Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

BB Cream

It seems like you can walk these days without tripping over a new BB cream. BB creams have exploded onto the Western market over the past couple of years and most major brands now carry one....but what are they? Wikipedia defines BB Cream as this:

BB cream, also known as Blemish Balm, Blemish Base or Beblesh Balm (due to an apparent copyright on the word "Blemish", is a cosmetic item sold mainly in East and Southeast Asia, although larger beauty brands are increasingly introducing BB creams to Western markets as well. Originally formulated in Germany by dermatologist Dr. Christine Schrammek in the 1950s, the cream was initially used to protect skin after laser procedures and surgery, while also providing light coverage. Introduced to South Korea and Japan in the 1980s, BB cream has been named "the secret of Korean actresses" and has been heavily endorsed by Korean celebrities, which gained it large exposure in these Asian markets.

BB creams claim to do it all: moisturize, prime, provide SPF, and cover. The Asian BB Creams also have whitening properties (pale skin is considered more beautiful in Asian countries).

That being said, I have tried two BB creams over the past few months. First, I tried the Garnier BB Cream in Light/Medium. It did border on being a little bit too dark for me but it blended pretty well. I liked this one. It wasn't heavy and had a nice smell. It is also very accessible and quite inexpensive at $10-$15. You can find it at any major retailer. I think it would be good for someone who hates to wear a lot of makeup or wants to cut down on steps. The coverage is more in the tinted moisturizer range so if you need a lot of coverage, this one might not be for you. The finish was a bit tacky so I did need to set this one with powder. It's a big bottle (over 2 oz) so you get a lot of product. It is also 15 SPF. I would buy this one again to wear on the weekends or on days when I don't feel like dragging my big makeup bag out.

My roommate ended up stealing the Garnier from me so I decided to try a higher end BB cream this time. I chose the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream in Fair. It retails for $39. Now, this one was almost too *light* for me in this shade. To be honest, I did not care for this one. It didn't sit well on my skin and almost looked cakey. That being said, the finish was not sticky and it had much more coverage than the Garnier brand. It also had 30 SPF, which I liked. The bottle is rather small (1 oz) but that seems to be comparable to most higher end products. I ended up returning this product because I was just not pleased with it enough to justify the price.

Next I think I am going to try an Asian BB Cream. I'm already pale so the whitening agents shouldn't be a big deal for me. A word of warning if you are thinking about buying an Asian BB cream....there are a lot of fakes out there. From my research it looks like they are coming from China. You can tell the difference but really only after you get the bottle. The fakes can break you out and a whole host of other bad things. Most reputable brands (Missha, Skin79) have American sites and I would recommend getting them direct from the manufacturer than risk your skin for a cheap E Bay fake.

From what I've read, Western BB Creams are basically glorified tinted moisturizers, although many people love them. Asian BB Creams are said to be better but we'll have to see. There are pros and cons to both and, like anything else, it all comes down to personal preference.

Do I think BB Creams are worth trying? Yes! Now I just have to find my perfect one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment