Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Eyeshadow/Eyeliner Placement

I know when I first started getting into makeup, one of my main questions was how in the world to apply eye makeup. I watched a ridiculous number of YouTube tutorials and here's what I've learned. First, I'd suggest using this chart and identifying the various parts of your eye. Sounds simple, I know, but everyone's eye is different.


Now, placement will vary depending on your eye type, shape, etc but I'll try to give you a general idea. The best way to start is to pick at least three colors: a light, medium and dark shade. These can be various shades of the same color, a lighter range of colors, or all different colors. Use the medium color first and apply it on your eyelid. Then you take the dark color and apply it to the outside corner of your eye and blend it into your crease. The best way that I've found to do this is to apply the color in the corner only and then blend it out into your crease. The darkest part of your whole eye should be the outside corner. Only go about 2/3 of the way to your nose with your crease color. Finally, you take your lightest color and put a little onto your brow bone. Also take a little of the light color and put in the inner corner of your eye. This brightens up your eye and makes it look larger and more refreshed.

As far as eyeliner, if you have small eyes, you should avoid lining around your entire eye. Lining around the entire eye closes it off and makes it appear smaller. My eyes are small and what I do is line the outside 3/4 of both the bottom and top lid. This way the eye stays open at the lightest part. If you have larger eyes, this really isn't a problem for you (and I'm jealous!). You can also wing your liner out a bit to elongate your eyes or wing them upward to change the direction of down-turned eyes.

This is a very basic explanation but once you figure out what kind of eye you have, you can play with lights and darks to give your eye definition and dimension. You can even change the entire shape of your eye by just knowing a few simple tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment